Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Best Books I've Read In 2013

     I read a lot of great books in 2013. I think it was a year that I really matured as a reader. I don't actually love to read (don't hate me Ms.Warren) but over the course of last year I found some amazing life-changing books that made me like reading more. I have many books that I would like to address but overall these were my favorite books of 2013. 
     This series became my second favorite series (after Harry Potter of course) ever. The Divergent series by Veronica Roth. And I know this is three books but I wanted to focus on the first and last. The first book was just one of these amazing books that you couldn't stop reading. It captured you with a thrilling plotline taking place in a dystopian world. Any book that starts with a brilliant idea Already has a strong foundation to build off of. Then it depends if the writer is good. For example Harry Potter was an entrancing book that you would want to read because of just the idea alone. I think that because JK Rowling was a great writer it made the books a hit. However the Twilight Saga, which also had a good idea, didn't have such a great writer in my opinion. This is why that series got more bad reviews and ridicule. Divergent was a book that I couldn't put down and I love it so much.
     Allegiant, the last book, was different. The only part that really spoke to me was the end SPOILER ALERT --> when Tris dies. This particular scene was so captivating and strong that I reread it over five times. It made me think so much about life and death. It made me think about what it would be like to be dying and what Tris might have felt leaving everything she loved behind yet she was so peaceful. And then in the aftermath of her death I thought about Tobias and how hard it would be to lose someone you love like that. I thought about all the people that I had lost and every time I think of them it feels as though I can't go on and that my world is coming down around me. I think about how death is so unfair yet it's placed with such precision that there's no mistake and that what happened was meant to happen. Over the course of three books you get to know Tris so well as a character that you feel as if one of your friends had died. As I read this scene it caused so much emotion that I was crying. I think it is the most powerful scene that I have ever read.
     Another book that brought tears to my eyes was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. This book showed me a side of the world that I never saw before. The views that it put out about living and dying and treasuring life and loved ones really changed me. My grandfather died from cancer when I was nine. He was the first person I have ever lost and I hated it. The fault in our stars portrays death as something to accept. And instead of fearing it to come to terms with it and make sure you live life to the fullest. This book really changed my perspective about the world and really helped me cope with the losses that I'm still facing and will continue to face.
     Out of all the books I've read in 2013 these are the ones that spoke to me the most and changed me as a person. They helped me see the light in life as books can. They made me appreciate literature more, as I said before I'm not a fan of reading. I want to continue reading books like these that can change the way I see things. The world is beautiful you just have to look.



No comments:

Post a Comment