Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Try to Float

     Are you a good person? Really think about it. Are you kind to others? Do you give not take? Do you go out of your way to make others happy and comfortable? Hazel, the protagonist in The Fault in our Stars by John Green certainly does. She has lung cancer so she has to carry around a oxygen tank everywhere and she can't get too much physical exertion. Even with all these complications in her life she is kind and caring towards others. This made me think that everyone should reflect on themselves more. If Hazel, who could die at any moment, can be selfless and caring, then so can I.
    The main action she does that shows selflessness is when she tells Augustus that she can't be with him. She does love him but doesn't want him to have to suffer if she dies. This is a extreme choice for Hazel. It shows that she will give up what she loves so that someone else won't get hurt. I think the author included this part of the conflict to stress an important message. That the right thing might not always feel right, and that it also might not always be what you, personally, want it to be. This really pushed me to reflect. Am I as selfless as Hazel? Can I change? Would I have given up my emotions like that? Stop and think about it for yourself. Think of a time you did something solely for someone else. If you can't think of one, its really time to self reflect. I remember after Hurricane Sandy me and my mom went out to the rockaways and helped sort food and clothing. Bringing things to people in need. Knowing that you did something good is a great feeling. Its uplifting and makes you feel elated. Like floating. That bouncy, floaty, happy feeling. Happy that you made someone else happy.
    After reading this book I realized how lucky I was. I have hardly any problems in my life and I can definitely afford to care more about others. I think that having cancer made Hazel value things more in life. Most of what she values is her friends and family so she is caring and kind towards them. She could die at any given time so she preserves small moments. I think everyone should see the world like Hazel. . Know that everything you do has an effect on others and that every second counts so be kind whenever you can.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Ava! I love that line when you write, "Knowing that you did something good is a great feeling. Its uplifting and makes you feel elated. Like floating. That bouncy, floaty, happy feeling. Happy that you made someone else happy." (Perfect description of what that happiness feels like!) I also really agree with you on the fact that everyone should really be aware of all the things that they have, and be thankful. Everyone should value what they have everyday, because everything you do , (like you state in your post,) effects the people around you!

    ReplyDelete